Read All About It
- Berkman, L. K., C. K. Nielsen, C. L. Roy, and E. J. Heist. 2018. A landscape genetic analysis of swamp rabbits (Sylvilagus aquaticus) suggests forest canopy cover enhances gene flow in an agricultural matrix. Canadian Journal of Zoology 96:622-632.
- Crawford, J. C., C. K. Nielsen, and E. M. Schauber. 2018. Survival and habitat use of sympatric lagomorphs in bottomland hardwood forests. Canadian Journal of Zoology 96:713-722.
- Fort, J., C. Nielsen, A. Carver, R. Moreno, and N. Meyer. 2018. Factors influencing local attitudes and perceptions of jaguars (Panthera onca) and national park conservation in Panamá. Oryx 52:282-291.
- Koen, E. L, C. Minnaar, C. L. Roever, and J. G. Boyles. 2018. Emerging threat of the 21st century lightscape to global biodiversity. Global Change Biology. 24: 2315-2324.
- Cravens, Z. M., V. A. Brown, T. J. Divoll, and J. G. Boyles. 2018. Illuminating prey selection in an insectivorous bat community exposed to artificial light at night. Journal of Applied Ecology. 55: 705-713.
Rutter, A. U., A. T. Hanrahan, C. K. Nielsen, and E. M. Schauber. 2018. Survival and cause-specific mortality of river otters in southern Illinois. American Midland Naturalist 180:156-163.
Nielsen, C., C. Bottom, R. Tebo, and E. Greenspan. 2018. Habitat overlap among bobcats (Lynx rufus), coyotes (Canis latrans), and wild turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo) in an agricultural landscape. Canadian Journal of Zoology 96:486-496.
- Wetzler, G. C. and J. G. Boyles. In Press. The energetics of mosquito feeding by insectivorous bats. Canadian Journal of Zoology. 96: 373-377. *Undergraduate student
- Krauel, J. J., L. P. McGuire, and J. G. Boyles. In Press. Testing traditional assumptions about regional migration in bats. Mammal Research. 63: 115-123.
- Boyles, E., and C. K. Nielsen. 2017. PBDEs and dechloranes in raccoons in the midwestern United States. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 98:758-762.
- Brown JL, Bennett JR, French CM (2017). SDMtoolbox 2.0: the next generation Python-based GIS toolkit for landscape genetic, biogeographic and species distribution model analyses. PeerJ PDF
- Zieman, E. A., F. A. Jiménez, and C. K. Nielsen. 2017. Concurrent examina tion of bobcats and ticks reveals high prevalence of Cytauxzoon felis in southern Illinois. Journal of Parasitology 103:343-348.
- Schank, C. J., and 30 other authors including J. Fort and C. K. Nielsen. 2017. Using a novel model approach to assess the distribution and conservation status of the endangered Baird’s tapir. Diversity and Distributions 23:1459-1471.
- Cravens, Z. M., V. A. Brown, T. J. Divoll, and J. G. Boyles. In Press. Illuminating prey selection in an insectivorous bat community exposed to artificial light at night. Journal of Applied Ecology.
- Fritz, K. A., L. J. Kirschman, S.D. McCay, J. T. Trushenski, R. W. Warne, and M.R. Whiles. 2017. Subsidies of essential nutrients from aquatic environments correlate with immune fundtion in terrestrial consumers. Freshwater Science.
- Vanni, M. J. with 74 co-authors including M. R. Whiles. 2017. A global database of nitrogen and phosphorus excretion rates of aquatic animals. Ecology
- DiRenzo, G. V. R. Brenes, M. R. Whiles, C. M. Pringle, S. S. Kilham, and K. R. Lips. In press. Community disassembly as a homogenizing process: Tropical stream tadpole community dynamics before and after a fungal disease invasion. Ecological Applications
- Griffiths, N. A., J. L. Tank, T. V. Royer, E. J. Rosi, A. J. Shogren, T. C. Frauendorf, and M. R. Whiles. 2017. Occurrence, leaching, and degradation of Cry1Ab protein from transgenic maize detritus in agricultural streams. Science of the Total Environment
- Beattie, A. M., M. R. Whiles, P. W. Willink. 2017. Diets, population structure, and seasonal activity patterns of mudpuppies (Necturus maculosus) in an urban, Great Lakes coastal habitat. Journal of Great Lakes Research. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0380133016302106
- Vences M, Brown JL, Lathrop A, Gonçalo RM, Cameron A, Crottini A, Dolch R, Devin E, Freeman KLM, Glaw F, Grismer LL, Spartak L, Margaret MG, Maya M, Solofo JF, Noël J, Nguyen TQ, Ohler A, Randrianantoandro C, Raselimanana P, van Leeuwen P, Wogan GOU, Ziegler T, Andreone F, Murphy RW (2017). Tracing a toad invasion: lack of mitochondrial DNA variation, haplotype origins, and potential distribution of introduced Duttaphrynus melanostictus in Madagascar. Amphibia-Reptilia 38: 197-207. PDF
- Wollenberg Valero KC, Garcia-Porta J, Rodríguez A, Arias M, Shah A, Randrianiaina RD, Brown JL, Glaw FG, Amat F, Künzel S, Metzler D, Isokpehi RD, Vences M (2017). Transcriptomic and macroevolutionary evidence for phenotypic uncoupling between frog life history phases. Nature Communications 8. PDF
- Kirschman, L. J., M. D. McCue, J. G. Boyles, and R. W. Warne. In Press. Exogenous stress hormones alter energetic and nutrient costs of development and metamorphosis. Journal of Experimental Biology.
- Boyles, J. G. 2017. Benefits of knowing the costs of disturbance to hibernating bats. Wildlife Society Bulletin. 41:388-392.
- Boyles, J. G., N. C. Bennett, O. B. Mohammed, and A. N. Alagaili. 2017. Torpor patterns in desert hedgehogs (Paraechinus aethiopicus) represent another new point along a thermoregulatory continuum. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology. 90:445-452.
- Boyles, J. G., E. Boyles, R. K. Dunlap, S. A. Johnson, and V. Brack, Jr. 2017. Long-term microclimate measurements add further evidence there is no “optimal” temperature for bat hibernation. Mammalian Biology. 86:9-16.
- Gastal, G. D. A., A. Hamilton, B. G. Alves, S. G. da Silva de Tarso, J. M. N. Feugang, W. J. Banz, G. A. Apgar, C. K. Nielsen, and E. L. Gastal. 2017. Ovarian features in white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) fawns and does. PLoS ONE 12(5): e0177357. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0177357.
- Hillard, E. M., C. K. Nielsen, and J. W. Groninger. 2017. Swamp rabbits as indicators of wildlife habitat quality in bottomland hardwood forest ecosystems. Ecological Indicators 79:47-53.
- Boyles, E., H. Tan, Y. Wu, C. K. Nielsen, L. Shen,E. J. Reiner, and D. Chen. 2017. Halogenated flame retardants in bobcats from the Midwestern United States. Environmental Pollution 221:191-198.
- Mook, J., E. M. Schauber, M. Vesy, R. W. Moody, and D. Nolan. 2017. Phrynosoma cornutum (Texas horned lizard) Behavior. Herpetological Review, 48(1): 197-198. OPEN ACCESS
- Koen, E. L., M. I. Tosa, C. K. Nielsen, and E. M. Schauber. 2017. Does landscape connectivity shape local and global social network structure in white-tailed deer? PLoS One, 12(3): e0173570. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0173570 OPEN ACCESS
- Tosa, M. I., E. M. Schauber, and C. K. Nielsen. 2017. Impact of localized removal on white-tailed deer space use and contact rates. Journal of Wildlife Management, 81:26-37. DOI: 10.1002/jwmg.21176
- Alagaili, A. N., N. C. Bennett, O. B. Mohammed, I. S. Zalmout, and J. G. Boyles. 2017. Body temperature patterns of a small endotherm in an extreme desert environment. Journal of Arid Environments. 137:16-20.